Tuesday 16 December 2014

Sun Salutation – The Perfect Yoga Workout


This morning was my first day attempting to re-familiarise myself after a 15 year absence from Yoga.

I had forgotten how tough it can be for a beginner. Only 10 minutes of the sun salutation and my muscles were certainly feeling it, and even though it was a bit chilly this morning, I worked up a serious sweat.

I only did the Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) to begin with and it is a great single mantra to stay fit, the 12 powerful yoga asanas (postures) provide a good cardiovascular workout and these postures are a good way to keep the body in shape and the mind calm and healthy.

Surya Namaskar is best done early morning on an empty stomach. Each Sun Salutation round consists of two sets. The 12 yoga poses complete one set of Surya Namaskar. To complete the second half, you need to repeat the same sequence of postures, only moving the left leg instead of the right , so as to be sure to exercise each part of the body equally. 

You are certain to find several different versions of doing Sun Salutation. There are books and videos on youtube and apps. However, it is best to stick to one particular sequence and practice it regularly for best results.

This is the sequence that I followed. But I was focusing on my breathing rather than precise body posture, as breathing is a very important factor in any form of exercise and also my flexibility was rather poor. Another factor to consider is also your fluidity of linking each pose. It is a good idea to watch some videos.

I actually use an Android App called "Daily Yoga". It has lots of free workouts which are great for beginners. You can find out more about it here.. http://www.dailyyoga.com/



Besides good health, Surya Namaskar also provides an opportunity to express gratitude to the sun for sustaining life on this planet. My aim is to eventually achieve 12 rounds of Sun Salutation, followed by other yoga poses . 

Just start off simple.. and build it up, do not push yourself too hard. Enjoy it.

You too might just find that this could be your mantra to stay fit, happy and peaceful. 

A mantra whose effects last through the day.